I can remember eating Chef Boyardee as a kid. Here I am, as an adult, and I still eat it and love it! My favorites are the Spaghetti & Meatballs and Mini Ravioli and Kambry’s favorite is the Mini Spaghetti & Meatballs and Mini Ravioli as well. There is 1/2 cup of vegetables per serving, so there’s another reason why I, as a mom, don’t mind feeding my family Chef Boyardee.
I love to cook, but there are times where I just don’t have the time to spend three hours on a meal that will take 5 seconds for the family to eat. While I love to eat Chef Boyardee just as they are, I had no idea that you could make quick and full family meals just from something like a lasagna bake from Chef Boyardee Ravioli or a casserole dish with pepperoni, cheese, milk, and Chef Boyardee spaghetti.
- PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1-1/4 cups original baking mix
- 1/2 cup reduced fat (2%) milk
- 2 can (14.5 oz each) Chef Boyardee® Spaghetti & Meatballs
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup sliced turkey pepperoni
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 13×9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Combine baking mix and milk in medium bowl; stir until soft dough forms.
- Drop dough by spoonfuls on bottom of baking dish (will not completely cover bottom). Spoon 1 can spaghetti and meatballs over dough and sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining can spaghetti and meatballs, remaining 1/4 cup cheese and pepperoni.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until dough is done in centers and browned.
Add your favorite pizza toppings, if desired. Get the kids involved with preparation; they can prepare the dough, layer the ingredients and top the dish with pepperoni.
I love to make casserole dishes and one of my favorites, as is the kids’, is a pasta bake with cheese, pepperoni and different shaped noodles. When I saw one of the Chef Boyardee Recipes used Chef Boyardee Spaghetti, I knew it was something that I wanted to try out. To my surprise, everyone in my family really liked it. Instead of making dough from scratch, we decided to drop in refrigerated biscuit dough, then sprinkled grated parmesan on top of the mozzarella cheese just before we baked it.
Looks pretty yummy, doesn’t it? It was! Another recipe that I am excited to try is the Ravioli Lasagna. Now that I have seen that you can make actual dishes with Chef Boyardee, I will be letting the creative juices flowing for some more yummy recipe ideas. I think it would be a good combination to add a can of Chef Boyardee Ravioli to the Pepperoni Spaghetti Bake to add different textures to the casserole.
With BlogHer ‘11 coming up, I am adding some of the smaller sized microwave meals to my suitcase. Anytime I travel, I like to buy or take my own snacks to help save on eating out costs. At under a buck a piece, this is what I call savvy and smart planning on any budget. Too bad I can’t pack a casserole in my carry on otherwise I’d totally do it. LOL
For more recipes, please visit Ready-Set-Eat for more Chef Boyardee recipes.
I wrote this review while participating in a campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Chef Boyardee and received a gift card to facilitate my review and a promotional item to thank me for taking the time to participate. All opinions in this posting are 100% my own.