I decided to make something different for the family tonight; Stuffed Bell Peppers with Asiago Fresco Cheese, in the CrockPot. I threw some things in a crockpot to test my own recipe.
- 1 lb of Cooked ground hamburger meat
- I like to cook anywhere from 5-10 pounds of ground hamburger meat and freeze them in freezer bags in 1 pound measurements so that when I want a fast meal with hamburger meat, I can thaw & the meat is ready. This is a huge time saver in my kitchen!
- 2 large cans of tomato sauce (16 ounce cans, I believe, or you can use homemade tomato sauce)
- 2 jars of fresh canned tomatoes, home grown tomatoes
- 2 sprig of fresh dried basil, crushed in to crock pot with mixture
- 1 package of Lipton’s Onion Soup Mix
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup of water
Mix all together in a crockpot, simmer all day, for 8-10 hours on low. Stir occasionally. About 4 hours in to the simmer, add a cup of rice (white, brown, whatever type of rice you want). Add water as needed throughout the simmer.
Just before you are ready to serve, turn the oven on to about 300 degrees. Boil a pan of water (water high enough to cover bell peppers). Cut around the top of the bell peppers to take the seeds out and scrape out any left over, then boil until soft; about 10 minutes.
Take the bell peppers, place on a pan to bake. Add shredded cheese to the top and feel free to sprinkle with basil.
For the cheese, I used Asiago Fresco Cheese (white cheese) and Cheddar.